Alert 03 – 44 Inattention Results in Galley Fire


The assistant cook after finishing work in the galley he left the fryer and forgot to shut it off. The oil level in the fryer decreased due to over heating and vaporization of the oil until the heater caused the fryer to catch on fire. The catering crew was sitting in the Mess Room when they noticed the fire. They raised the fire alarm and the Camp Boss brought a DP extinguisher and they extinguished the fire in 2 minutes. In a worst-case scenario, this fire could have reached the other part of the galley causing severe damage to equipment and injuries to personnel.

Read Full Safety Alert